Okay. So I'm a bit upset at the ending because THERE WAS NO ENDING. I'm going to have to read the second book because I want to know what happens to all the characters in this one.
It started off a bit 'what the fuck is going on' as there were many words that made no sense and concepts that hadn't been properly explained. However, that's gone by the time you get through probably the second or third chapter. But for the first couple, it's a bit confusing.
The plot is basically 6 tales (very much in the vein of The Canterbury Tales) all which centre on the planet Hyperion. Some of the stories are so completely fucked up that I was questioning my ability to continue. However, though the stories stay pretty fucked up, they aren't as traumatising.
The six stories roughly are:
- Creepy tale about a priest looking for a group of descendants from a crashed spaceship on Hyperion.
- Really quite screwed up tale of a military guy and his across time, space and I guess virtual worlds love affair with a woman...who turns out to be something else entirely.
- The poet's tale was still really quite creepy, all about his life and muse.
- The academic's tale which was heartbreaking. Living with his daughter who is aging backwards and continually thinking it's the day before for 30 years. All the sad.
- I think the detective's tale was my favourite. The AI incarnation of the poet Keats and why someone's trying to kill him.
- Finally the Consul's tale which is full of love and political intrigue.
But then it ends just as we find out what is going to happen to them! They are going on a pilgrimage to the Time Tombs (which are moving backwards through time) and the Shrike which seems to be an unstoppable killing...being. You figure as the whole book was about this pilgrimage we'd find out what happens. But no. That is apparently sequel territory.
Will they all be killed? Will Sol be able to reverse his daughter's aging sickness? What is going to happen? I DON'T KNOW BECAUSE THE BOOK BLOODY ENDS.
Insert exasperated Liz face here.
Does it pass the test? Hmm.
Does it have at least 2 female characters
Yes. I think every story does have one! And they are usually a main part of the story which is ace!
Is one of them a main character.
Yes, the detective is.
Do they have an interesting profession/level of skill with male characters.
Yes. She's also pretty bad ass. Some of the other characters are also pretty interesting, academics or the leader of the massive political system in the book.
I don't think it gets any bonus points though.
Should you read it? Yes. But I would also then be prepared to read the second book to find out what the bloody ending of this one. Also be prepared for it to be strange and a bit difficult to get into.
So, I give it 4/5 stars, losing one because I have to read the second one to find out the ending of this one.